Saturday, August 20, 2016

Entry 287: Blast From the Past Part-23

Have I really done 22 Blast from the past entries? That seems like too many. I never expected these entries to go on so long. I seem to want to share everything I've ever done. I know some artists really hate their old work. They act like they'd like to bury it so no one could see it again. I mean, I understand looking at your work and seeing all the mistakes, but honestly that's something that happens to me a lot more when I'm working on a thing. It often takes some time for me to see what I did well. I enjoy reassessing old work. Each time I do I see new things, some good and some bad.



After my 22 page story in Star Wars Tales #23 in 2005 I was asked back to do a 6 page story in #24. My grey toned pages for #23 went over so well editor, Jeremy Barlow, thought it would be cool to leave this story in black and white.


Most of this story is a little too dark and I feel printed poorly. I actually think it would have benefited from being colored. I still like this page (above) pretty well. And the fist panel on this next page is one of my favorite single Star Wars panels I ever drew.
In the end, there are a lot of things in this that I wish I had done differently, but there are little things that I really like, little things that I look at now and wonder how I managed to pull them off.

Blogged and blogged.

5 comments:

  1. I love your Image Tribute. I they were ever to bring back Shadowhawk I'd want to see you drawing that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dustin...the s.h.i.e.l.d 5 & 6...when?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ask Hickman about it. The ball is entirely in his court. All the issues need is a final script to go with the already drawn and colored artwork.

      Delete
  3. Dustin, you're awesome!!!

    Any hints when we are going to hear something about your next Marvel gig?

    Best

    Rogerio

    ReplyDelete